Monday 9 May 2016

Learner response

1) Section A: Lacks question focus, reference to clip. Needs to be in more depth.
Section B: Loses question focus and lacks theory

2) I did not succeed in meeting my target grade, I would need ___ marks to achieve my target grade

3) 

Media Forms: I have made 3 of the anticipated points, I did not successfully answer the question as I also talked about editing which I have lost marks on. 
Media Institutions: I have made 3 of these points, I did not successfully answer the question as it was not in depth and also did not explain how it promoted COD
Media Audiences: I made 4 of these points, I successfully answered the question but could have explained my points more.
Media Representations: I made 2 of these points, I did not successfully answer the question as I did not explain these points properly and did not stay focused on the question. 


4) I done better in that particular question because I went into depth with my explanations and included some theories

5)The question on media institutions was my weakest question. It lacked depth and examples, and I did not answer the question as I have misinterpreted it. 

6) 

Links between other brands and media products have been used in the trailer to promote call of duty while also promoting other brands and targeting similar audiences.

For example, the use of the iconic Las vegas sign at the beginning of the trailer promotes COD as this edition will now be related to Las Vegas by the audience as it is the location of the game.Las Vegas itself as a brand is associated with drugs, sex and violence, which is an image that COD wants to create as it will attract their target audience of males. This image is reinforced through the narrative of the advert, as violence is shown throughout and celebrity Megan Fox who is considered as appealing to males is placed in the advert. This can be linked back to Laura Mulveys male gaze theory, as Megan Fox carries appeal towards the male audience. The use of a cameo appearance to promote Call of Duty also allows existing Megan Fox fans who have a personal relationship (Uses and gratifications theory) with her to be encouraged to play call of duty because of the link created between the two brands.

The COD trailer also carries the typical brand image of a sci-fi aspect of films, as there is a scene where the characters are shown in space. This can be linked back to the film Gravity, as the scene is almost identical to the scenes in the Gravity trailers. This gives the audience the pleasure of being rewarded for being aware of and noticing the reference to gravity, while also promoting gravity and the game itself. The sci-fi genre is also more popular amongst the male target audience, which is also the target audience of COD therefore the use of gravity to promote COD is quite important in bringing in a larger audience. The COD advert also aspires to have an action thriller hence the tension and moments of violence. By creating this image, COD is able to convey the idea of it being a game that has quite a lot of action going on, which is exciting for the audience and a form of pleasure as the audience get to divert from everyday life (uses and gratifications)


7) I covered all three media platforms in my section B essay, and wrote about 3 different films. However, my answer lost the question focus.

8) I used the key words in the question in every paragraph for section B, however I did not create a solid link between the two which would have helped answer the question.

9) 

Media Forms: I included some of the things the Chief Examiner referred to in the stronger responses, but I also moved away from the question focus as the examiner has stated i.e. by talking about editing. 
Media Institutions: My answer fitted the weaker examples as I was able to highlight the brands but unable to explain how they created a positive association with the game. This was my weakest answer
Media Audiences: I have included the things the chief examiner referred to in the stronger responses, however I could have explained them more
Media Representations: I made some of the potential points the examiner has stated, but I did not provide any evidence which lowered my marks or go into depth with the theories to prove my points. 

Section B: I have included the points the examiner mentions as I had some detailed analysis, however I could have gone more in depth on explaining how and to what extent it could be linked to audience enjoyment. 

10) Need to revise more on the theories/case study notes and go over them, practise more papers and write more in depth and answer the question rather than losing the question focus. 

No comments:

Post a Comment